tired of being poor | trying to survive in today’s overpriced world

0928-poverty

I’ve talked about this before, mainly because nothing changes, I feel down and depressed and need to vent when things get rough.  But really, I’m so damn tired of being poor! I’m tired of having no food in the house, needing things for my kids I can’t buy, not being able to pay the bills. I’m just plain damn tired!

I grew up poor, my father working as a cab driver in the city of Vancouver. Dad went to work late at night and sometimes we didn’t get to see him for days, while he drove other people to their destinations, often relying on their good nature to tip him well, just so he could provide for us. Mom ran an in-home daycare, looking after other people’s children. So growing up and having no money really wasn’t anything out of the norm for the us. We always had what we needed though.

Nowadays that is so much more difficult.

We went to Wal-mart (Forgetful Dad, the boys and myself) just to pick up a few things we needed. Things like toilet paper, milk, bread, a couple of snacks for the kids lunches, pet food and what not.  Not much.  I think in total we got 9 items.  9 items and the bill was almost sixty dollars!

vancouver-gas-prices

The prices for everything are going up.  Milk (4-litre) jug is now almost 5 bucks and we go through one four litre of milk every four days, and I only have two boys plus FD so I couldn’t even imagine a family feeding more than four altogether. Just shoot me now!

I’m tired of feeling stressed out. I’m tired of trying to decide … Do we pay our rent, hydro bill or the car payment and buy food and hope we don’t get kicked out.  I mean who can live like that? And yet thousands upon thousands of families have to make those decisions every day across Canada, and it’s jut horribly sad.

Worse – I don’t see it changing.

I miss working and being in control of how much money I made. Now, living off FD’s disability and child tax credit (along with the whopping 200 bucks) though I’m grateful for it (for Trace’s) disability. When you are a family of four and bring in $1400 per month and rents are around $1000 per month … How can our Government expect the homeless rates not to go up? If it wasn’t for our subsidy, being in a co-op, I know for a fact we’d be living in a cardboard box decorated by six year old with his crayons, wondering whether or not to eat that sandwich someone just threw in the garbage.

Every day I see it. More and more people struggling. Friends, family, my brothers, my kids friends parents – all working their a$$e$ off just to make ends meat and yet never getting anywhere.  It’s sickening and sad, especially when the prices of gas go up, housing goes up, groceries go up, bills go up, companies want more and more and more so they can get rich, while the rest of us get to know the pawn shop owner on a first name basis every other day of the week!

poverty

Thank God for Blogging!

I don’t make much money doing this, blogging I mean.  I don’t know how many bloggers do. And things have slowed down so much, I’m not even sure if I want to keep to going, but a part of me appreciates and likes working with companies.  If it wasn’t for the brands I’ve worked with, getting a gift card for groceries, shampoo to wash my kids hair, toothpaste even to brush their teeth, or a dvd in the mail so we could enjoy some entertainment. I’m not sure what I would do.

I guess I’m just fed up! We live in a world with an abundance of natural resources and yet all we do is tax the crap out it, sell it for profit and everything is GREEN WITH GREED.  Meanwhile people around us starve, children starve, people are homeless, job-less, our elderly are uncared for, while our governments take pensions in amounts that are enough to make me puke!

How about you? What does your family do to survive in today’s over-priced world?

Don’t Miss A Thing!

Get the latest news from our blog, hot giveaways, contest and more delivered weekly to your inbox.

Comments

1. shawn says

I understand everything your going through me and my mom lostt are house we were renting and now live in a motel then she got fired so she got Unemployment ment but it ended this year but the motel was nice enough to give her a job as house keeping she make 200 and something but tge motel owner keeps 175 a week for our room so we are living off $50 a week abd it horible I'm sick off it n trying to get a job but we are wating on birth certificates so I can get a id then I can apply some where we been trying to get birth certificate for a year we finaly got wnough paper work to send off for mine now I have to wait two weeks I hope it huries I hatw being poor yeah we have a roof over our heads but foid is EXPENSIVE to buy with only. $50 plis shampoo etc so I fully understand I hope things get better foryou

2. says

I am tired of people in my village, saying I have been SHELTERED, i really MISS MY PARENTS. My world fell apart in the year of 1999!!!!! i HAVE lost my home, MY MOTHER WHO LOVED ME VERY, VERY MUCH WITH ALL HER HEART!!!!!! Oh yeah did I metion my FAMILY EVEN TOOK OUR CAR AWAY!!!!! I know everyone out there thinks i am biitter….i don't care!!!!

3. says

Well I am back again, my Mom just passed away, she was my Life, I loved her so deeply. We sold our beloved Home, and I am a very un happy person. I know I will miss her for the rest of my life!

4. earline carter says

Im tired too. My income is  13,000-15000 right now, mmy husband iisnt wworking because hhe signed a ccontract and the boss isnt ggiving him any work.  iI ggo to school too and I have 3 little kids. I'm paying for everything. Were are on food stamps but its hard to make it last. So at the end of the month. Were tight on food and cash. When are things going to change. I used to bring in over a thousand a week and now I'm lucky for 400.00 people are doing there own hairnow, which is a loss for me but it saves money on there sside. I'm upset at my husbamd for not doing his part for like the 4 th time.   I'm done. I feel like this is going to end my marriage, . Please any advice. Right now I have 4 dollars to my name. I live in tn. ( my keys keep doubling letters, sorry)

• says

I am not sure what type of advice you want me to give, other than hang in there, I know it's tight for everyone. You can try to utilize the community services where you live like the food bank, shelters, salvation army lunch programs and others to help aid what you need. You can't let this ruin your marriage. You need to keep communicating with each other, set boundaries for what you each need because all you have is each other and your beautiful children and that is all that matters. God Bless for sharing your story with us. <3

5. Kat says

I can totally relate. Things are much better for us now but 6 years ago they were horrible. It was to the point we were behind on rent and about to be kicked out, the gas had been shut off and had very little food. Both my husband and I were working and we still couldn't afford to live. We decided to move to Alberta where my husband was originally from (we lived in Chilliwack. BC then) so we could start fresh where the cost of living is much lower and wages were higher. Thankfully we had help from his grandparents for the first little while. It is the closest to homeless I ever want to be.
    Kat recently posted..Potty Talk

• says

I'm sorry Kat you went through that. It's not easy. We have thought about moving several times, but our rent is subsidized. It's just buying food and paying bills that is difficult right now. I'm glad things worked out for you and you got extra hands to help you, that can make a big difference.

6. Katie A says

I was just thinking about how much the cost of living has gone up over the last little while. In the relatively short time I have been grocery shopping as an adult peanut butter has gone from $3.50 to $6.50!!! It is hard to find a loaf of bread for less than $2.

We coupon and price match a lot more now, and I stock up when there is a good sale.

7. says

Little Miss Kate recently posted..Taking my Monkey to The Toronto Zoo

8. Jeannette Laframbois says

I hear you! There are way too many of us in the same boat…what's worse is that we are in a country where this should not be happening. I had a good job as a nurse but 4 years ago I suffered a workplace injury that left me in rough shape. I have since returned to work, well… sort of…there just isn't that much work available for a person with limitations. Also I am a community nurse that needs a vehicle to travel from patient to patient. We do receive an allowance for gas but that was based upon when gas was $0.90. Now, I have very little work to begin with due to my health issues & to make it worse, it cost me to travel because of the gas prices. Throughout all of the 4 years my husband only had part time work at a whopping $1100-$1300 a month. I have NO idea how we survived it. We have a bit more now but not enough to cover every thing. We are always a month or more behind and you are absolutely correct-It sucks! How I wish there was a way to change the situation, but at the moment, I don't have a clue.

Take care and thanks for sharing-I think it does help a bit to know that we are not alone in our struggles.

• sam says

i am almost 50 years old and my credit cards debt is over 25K. i am behind my bills every month. i don’t know what to do. my daytime job sucks very badly and i totally hated my job. i have been trying to find a better job or a part time job but i cant find any!!! everyday is a nightmare! things are getting very hard as each day goes by. i am at a dead end!!! please help me. God bless you!!

• Jodi says

I’m not really sure what kind of help I can give you Sam, as you can see we struggle everyday. Debt is never easy to deal with. Maybe hit up a consolidator for your debt see if they can roll all your bills into one. Or it might be time for bankruptcy.

9. says

It's funny that you posted this. We were talking last week about always playing catch up. It sucks. I use to work from home and having 54 hours a week with weekends off, but since the economy is bad they had to cut my hours down a ton, which I'm grateful for the hours I do get, but it's not the same. We've had to tighten our budget in so many areas in our life and adjust to our new situation, I'm hoping to get an out of house job really soon, but who knows with the way things are. I'm sorry things are like that for you and your family, keeping you in my prayers that things will pick up for you guys for the better! <3
    LaQuita (Just Us Gir recently posted..DIY: Oxiclean

10. Denise G says

So sorry you are having a hard time of it. Yes blogging absolutely does help out. It is great for those household items and gifts for others. I appreciate it as well.

11. says

We do our best to make as much as we can at home. It's amazing what can be saved when you DIY, and we really truly think about where we drive now. My husband and I used to love Sunday afternoon drives but not any more, the gas makes them depressing.

12. says

:( this makes me so sad Jodi. we are really grateful my husband has a good job but we all know how unstable jobs can be right? it's scary. thank goodness for working with brands to bring the extras and a little help along the way. I'm so happy to have found this work to do from home with my kids.
    Jennifer recently posted..Blogging Cartoons!

• says

Me, too! Every little bit counts. And it's not that I don't take my blog seriously, I do. But when you are out of bandaids or shampoo heck write a post lol. :)

13. says

I was just saying to hubs it feels like we have not moved forward or up in the last 15 years. Very depressing. One step forward two steps back. We lived in BC and groceries and our mortgage were way higher than here in ON, However we are no better off. At least there the quality of life was better. I make decent money blogging, but with debt, and four kids it is never enough to keep from drowning
    gingermommy recently posted..Simplizing HATE

• says

Oh I so hear you hun. Not good at all and when you are working it's even harder not getting depressed. I'm glad you blog b/c I love reading you! :)