Laurenzo waiter sticks up for a special needs child

Michael Garcia a waiter at Houston restaurant Laurenzo’s was so disgusted by a comment made toward one of his long time (and littlest) patrons of the establishment he works at, that he put his job on the line and refused to serve a couple after they got up and moved tables.  The waiter then heard the comment made by the father of the family about 5 year Milo who has Down Syndrome. “Special needs children need to be special someplace else.”

“My personal feelings took over,” he said, leading him to tell the father, “Sir, I won’t be able to serve you.” The family left the restaurant. — said Garcia.

Milo

Milo Castillo Laurenzo’s special patron.

Milo’s mom, Kim Castillo said that their family had been coming to Laurenzo’s for a long time. That they have been taking their son to restaurants since he was born. He is usually well-behaved and better even than most kids his age.

The news hit the restaurant’s facebook page where it exploded with praise from around the world for Garcia and what he did. Everyone  supporting the compassionate waiter’s decision to refuse service to the family who he felt were being rude. The owners of Laurenzo’s fully supported their employees decision.

Kim Castillo, Milo’s mom shared her story online and how proud she is of Michael and all the staff at Laurenzos. Milo was just excited to share news about his birthday and talk happily with the staff.

As a mom of a special needs child, I am angry and outraged at the lack of compassion and ignorance by this family in question. It would have been one thing if the family had just moved and said we would like it a little quieter thanks. But to say such a horrible thing about a child who did not ask to be born with special needs.  It’s utterly disgusting!  I think as a mom in general my mama bear instincts would have kick in and I’d be ready to kick a$$.
Michael Garcia is not a just a waiter at Laurenzo’s, he is a hero. To stand up for Milo is a great thing, but he also showed that compassion and understanding does exist in this world for all of us who are special or different in our own ways. God Bless you!

Note: I’d like to thank Tasha from Life of a Canadian Angel for bringing this story to my attention on our facebook timeline. You rock girlie!

What do you think about what Michael Garcia did? Chime in below.

Comments

1. says

I am so proud of that waiter and really glad for him to get the attention he deserves. I remember once serving a patron with disabilities. I did nothing out of the ordinary. I went on serving other customers and later one of the other customers who had observed my interaction with the disabled customer returned and told me how impressed he was with how I dealt with him. That was over 20 years ago, and it has never left me.

Treat others how you would like to be treated. End of story – no matter their abilities.

• says

I'm sorry to hear about your son Randa. We lost our daughter when I was almost 6 months pregnant and it was difficult. Now I have youngest who is special needs and I feel the same as you do. It's like someone being mean to an animal, not comparing special needs kids to animals, just saying that these kids did not ask to be born with special needs, they cannot always comprehend or say how they feel but that doesn't mean they don't have feelings.

2. says

More people should behave like this waiter. Acting decent to your fellow human being does not make you a hero, I think it should be EXPECTED of all of us. Kudos to the waiter though, of setting a proper example. A child with Down Syndrome is a gift, not a burden.

Jenna
    Jenna Em recently posted..My Grandma’s Green Bean Recipe!

3. says

This man should receive a special award, so should the restaurant for standing up and supporting him. It is totally unreal the society we live in today. Crap flies out of peoples mouths these days without a care in the world who people hurt. It saddens me to hear about ruthless people.

I know you too have a special needs child and I bet he brings the greatest joy to your life. Couldn't think of a better more caring mom than you. Compassion and love is all that is needed.

Thanks for sharing a heart warming story on top of a sad one.

Kevin :)

• Rob Johansen says

I applaud Mr. Garcia's fortitude why would anyone attack the most vulnerable element of society …. Mr Garcia you exemplify the qualities we aspire to live by…. What is the name of your restaurant because I applaud you all , and will visit. R. Johansen , Ontario, Canada

4. Haylie Langwald says

I think what Garcia did was awesome. Too often these days, people are so afraid to speak up and defend other people, thinking they'll get in trouble or get hurt. It's refreshing to see someone speak up against the rudeness.